How much do you spend on electricity a month? What about water? Is it higher than you’d like to be spending? What if we told you that you could be helped with your bills and do your part to help the greater good in the process? That’s exactly the case with UO $CORE, a student run program to help students save money on their utility bills for environmentally-responsible practices.
$CORE stands for “Student and Community Outreach for Renter efficiency” and was started in 2012 by James Walton, a senior business major who secured a grant from Eugene Water and Electric Board to create the program. Through $CORE, student staff perform free audits and install upgrades in older, off-campus student rental housing while also helping student tenants by providing information, materials, and skills to help lower their carbon footprint and utility bills.
If you’re interested in hearing more about how $CORE can help you save money then you should register for a free energy assessment!
What does this assessment include? Simply put, two Energy Evaluators will come to your house and assess your energy needs. Over the course of an hour they will install low use devices such as CFL lightbulbs and weather stripping, while also give you some information on how to lower your energy consumption and carbon footprint.
Not only will your bills be lower and your house better for the environment, you’ll even get a free pizza from TrackTown Pizza if more than half the household is present!
Tips for Reducing Energy Use
$CORE’s Facebook page is constantly updated with handy tips to reduce your utility bills and carbon footprint. We’ve selected a few here to share.
- Wrap your water tank with jacket insulation to save up to 10% on water heating costs.
- Install low-flow showerheads.
- When cooking on a stovetop, match the pan size to the heating surface to prevent heat loss to the surrounding air.
- Put your computer and monitor to sleep mode (or off) when you’re not using them.
- Replace your bulbs with Energy Star® efficient light bulbs.
- Keep your freezer full to minimize energy used. For maximum savings fill the freezer with gallons of water.
A quick session with UO $CORE and you’ll have lower bills, a diminished carbon footprint, and free pizza!!! That’s what we call a win-win!