If you are new to the Eugene, Oregon community, you will be happy to know that you are living in what we believe is one of the best places to be on earth! We should know, the Von Klein family have been members of this community for decades.
Our area is known as one of America’s most livable communities with easy access to arts and culture, numerous parks and gardens, culinary offerings and miles of running and bike trails.
So for all of you new to town, we want to welcome you by sharing some interesting facts you may not know about our “Emerald City”.
Did you know….
1. Eugene recently ranked in the Top 10 on the Livability.com 100 Best Places to Live list,ranked on the Best Places for Business and Careers -Forbes and we ranked 10th on the 2013 Allstate America’s Best Drivers Report™ just to name a few…
2. The University of Oregon, founded in 1876, is one of the oldest universities on the West Coast…
3. Eugene is the only U.S. city to host three consecutive U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Track & Field (1972, 1976, 1980). It’s also home of the 2008 and 2012 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Track & Field. In fact, Historic Hayward Field is one of the most famous track and field-only facilities in the world…..
4. Donald Duck, the mascot for the University of Oregon, is the ONLY sports mascot by Disney….
5. The “Civil War”, the U of O’s annual match up against Oregon State, is the seventh oldest rivalry in college football…
6. Eugene is home to some of our regions best breweries, while downtown Eugene hubs are infused with bottleshops, taphouses and growler fill stations. Well-known breweries include Ninkasi, Rogue and McMenamins…..
7. Eugene is named after its founder, Eugene Franklin Skinner. Until 1889, it was named Eugene City…..
8. Eugene’s slogan is “A Great City for the Arts and Outdoors”. It is also referred to as the “Emerald City”, and as “Track Town, USA”….
9. Springfield, Oregon is the real life inspiration for the Simpson’s hometown….
10. Eugene is the birthplace of Nike….
11. Oregon’s largest sports arena/stadium is the University of Oregon’s Autzen Stadium……
12. Eugene is consistently ranked as one of America’s “Most Bicycle Friendly Cities”….
Performing arts centers, galleries, music and cultural festivals, museums, as well as the dynamics of the University of Oregon’s intellectual and athletic inspiration keep the area thriving with vitality. So, get out there and enjoy all that our community has to offer!
Story Source: www.eugenecascadescoast.org